Monday, March 27, 2023

Always the Light

 

Always the Light 



By Tom Wachunas, with Diane Belfiglio

 

“…But the transcendentalism by which all men live has primarily much the position of the sun in the sky. We are conscious of it as a kind of splendid confusion; it is something both shining and shapeless, at once a blaze and a blur…” – G.K. Chesterton

   First, the blur. Since learning of the sudden passing of Diane Belfiglio a few days ago, I know I do not grieve alone in a state of numbing sorrow, incapable of finding words to describe the enormity of her departing our midst.

   But then, the shape of her shining cuts through the billowing clouds of sadness. I remember. Thank Dear God I remember. Her impact as superb artist, beloved friend, teacher most excellent, colleague most encouraging. An altogether inspired and inspiring creative force in our community. Here are some of Diane’s words about her work:

   "I was educated in a professional art world that has been characterized by its shock value, biting social commentary, and 'in-your-face' commercial images. In contrast to that world in which I was raised, I am simply endeavoring to create in my art a respite for our weary souls…. No matter the subject or medium, my work is firmly grounded in the formalist ideas that have interested me since my beginnings as a professional artist: closely cropped images bathed in the interplay of pattern between sunlight and shadows. Although realistic in presentation, I rely heavily on the underlying abstract qualities of my forms. Shadows, ethereal by nature, take on a rigid structural aspect in my compositions. Colors range from brilliant to subtle in an effort to reproduce the strong sense of sunlight streaming through each piece. My goal is to transform the mundane into the extraordinary, so that we see beauty in images that generally go unnoticed by most of us on a daily basis.”

    Something extraordinary indeed. I have been writing about Diane’s work for about 25 years. So now let me offer you, dear readers, this memorial composite of past comments from numerous reviews.

   I’ll always see Belfiglio’s oeuvre as something akin to one hand firmly caressing earthbound materiality, the other channeling through it the warmth and movement of light. The ethos of her work is a see-worthy vessel that remains buoyant and sturdy in turbulent waters – intact and unabashedly beautiful in our splintered culture too often floundering in pointless pop junk and ugly sensationalism. Hers are contemplative, mindful visions for our thoughtless times. As such, they are acts of bravery, courage and love on canvas or paper. Woven into the arresting formal elegance of her pictures is a consistently tender, mesmerizing harmony of astonishing technical acuity and compositional lyricism that imbues them with the rarefied air of poetry. Call it all a constant rising to ineluctable light.

    Always, the light. Rest there, dear friend Diane.

   And finally, here are two links. The first, to Diane’s gorgeous website so you can visit and be reminded of her brilliant work. The second to Zanesville Museum of Art’s beautiful posting on Diane’s current exhibit there.

https://www.belfiglio.com/

https://www.zanesvilleart.org/exhibition-diane-belfiglio

No comments: