Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Deus ex Machina, Part 2


Deus ex Machina, Part 2


Deus ex Machina #2





   “What the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation. Whether I’m online or not, my mind now expects to take in information the way the Net distributes it: in a swiftly moving stream of particles. Once I was a scuba diver in the sea of words. Now I zip along the surface like a guy on a Jet Ski.”
― Nicholas G. Carr, The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains

“We refuse to turn off our computers, turn off our phone, log off Facebook, and just sit in silence, because in those moments we might actually have to face up to who we really are.”
― Jefferson Bethke, Jesus>Religion: Why He Is So Much Better Than Trying Harder, Doing More, and Being Good Enough

“Spirituality is committing suicide. Consciousness is attempting to will itself out of existence.” ― Jaron Lanier, You Are Not a Gadget

   Shameless self-promotion. Hey, it’s a tough job, but somebody’s gotta do it. Let’s review.
   You may recall my post from April, wherein I wrote about my sculpture/ 3D drawing called Deus ex Machina (accepted into the annual juried May Show at The Little Art Gallery in North Canton). Here’s the link in case you want to refresh your memory (ain’t the Internet grand?).


   So now, here’s my invitation for you to see my latest work, a variation on the same theme, cleverly titled Deus ex Machina #2. What I said about the May Show entry still holds for the latest version: … The imposed scribbles, smudges, symbols, and scripts constitute a calligraphy of sense and nonsense, truth and fiction. A 3D essay on confounding dualities. My intent is not to posit answers so much as to raise questions. So what indeed have we wrought? A treasure chest of incalculable riches, or a Pandora’s box of unspeakable ills? Digital Deity. The god of our age. 

 I’m pleased to report that #2 was accepted into the upcoming juried exhibit, A View from Within, at Summit Artspace in Akron. Please join me at the opening reception this Friday evening, May 31. The exhibit will be on view THROUGH JULY 6. Gallery hours are Thursdays and Fridays, 12 – 7 pm / Saturdays 12 – 5 pm.

JURIED EXHIBITION: A VIEW FROM WITHIN

Summit Artspace welcomes summer with a juried show that throws open the doors on May 31 to artistic interpretation as an evolving relationship between the viewer and the creator.

The show opens with a free reception with the artists and juror on Friday, May 31, 5-8 p.m., in the main gallery at Summit Artspace on East Market, 140 East Market St., Akron. Winners will be announced at 7 p.m. by juror Christopher Hoot Professor of Art, Univeristy of Akron Myers School of Art.