Monday, May 25, 2020

Memorial Day, 2020- O'er the Land of the Free


Memorial Day, 2020: O’er the Land of the Free



   Recalling my small painting, The Untied State of America, from October, 2017. At that time, I wrote very briefly about the work here, referring to it not as “political art,” but simply as a prayer. I asked then: What do we stand for, when, and in whose presence?

   The question still burns, as it always will - a torch that won’t be extinguished. So on this day, in circumstances here and now most vexing, I offer you just a few additional, though urgent thoughts. United, we stand. In praise and loving remembrance, in gratitude and grace. Untied, we kneel in the mind of God, and in the eternal, infinite light of his promise to those who love him.

   “…For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,”… (Jeremiah 29:11-14)

   And, …Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted in the earth. (Psalm 46:10)

No comments: